Marine Terms

During your initial first trips there will be a host of new terms to learn. Click on the pictures below for an introduction.

Hull & topsides

Deck area

Rig & deck


Twin keel yacht (often referred to as a 'bilge keel yacht')

Gaff rigged cutter - taking it's name from the wooden spar supporting the top edge of the mainsail.

Lee Cloth - prevents crew falling out of bunk when the boat heels or rolls.